Adult Children on Your Policies Can Create Coverage Gaps

Adult Children on Your Policies Can Create Coverage Gaps

These days many families are assisting their adult children financially far longer than parents of earlier generations did. That kind of support for college, and sometimes basic survival, can create insurance coverage gaps for the adult child that can be a major risk to the parents’ financial wellbeing. If you have an adult child who is still financially dependent on you in some way, it’s critical that you secure appropriate insurance coverage.

Issues that will affect coverage include if they are a full- or part-time student, where they live and how old they are. Under a homeowner’s policy, an insured is limited to:

  • “Residents of your household who are your relative,” and
  • “A student enrolled in school full time, as defined by the school, and is under the age of 24-29 (this varies depending on the policy and carrier, so check your policy).

The above can cause issues for some people as many children are still in college beyond the policy cut-off date. You could run into coverage gaps for their contents and personal liability if:

  • They are older than the cut-off age on your policy,
  • They are not a full-time student, or
  • They are living away from home.

The picture gets murkier these days as well because many parents are renting an apartment or buying condos for their adult children to live in. Some parents may mistakenly think that since they are footing the bill, their insurance may still cover their adult child. But that’s not the case. Typical auto policies will include family members under the coverage. The standard policy form defines a family member as “a person related to you by blood, marriage or adoption who is a resident of your household.”

For your adult child’s vehicle insurance, coverage is determined by:

  • Who owns the title on the car.
  • Who is listed on the policy as a named insured or additional insured.
  • Where the child is living.

As you can see, even if a parent owns the title of the car and it’s insured under the parents’ policy, if the adult child is driving the vehicle and lives on their own, they could run into coverage issues. f you have an adult child on your policy, play it safe and give us a call so we can go over the policy and circumstances with you to identify any possible coverage gaps.

Coverage Gap Examples

  • If a car is co-titled or titled solely to the child, but the child isn’t listed as an additional insured or named insured on the parents’ policy.
  • Your child borrows a friend’s car (which the friend had not insured) for the day, gets in an accident and injures the driver of the other car.
  • Your child rents a vehicle and doesn’t buy the insurance offered by the rental car company, and then is in an accident.
  • Your child is hit by an uninsured motorist while walking across the street. There are no medical payments or uninsured motorist’s coverage for his own injuries.
  • Your child is at a concert and accidentally bumps someone off the edge of the stadium bleachers, causing severe injuries. There’s no coverage for the injuries caused to that person.

Source: West Bend Mutual Insurance Company



April 2024

January 2024

October 2023

July 2023

April 2023

January 2023

October 2022

July 2022

April 2022


By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Whether you’re looking to protect your family, home or business, we have the experience you’re looking for.

© 2024 George Petersen Insurance Agency, Inc. | CA Insurance #0603247 | Privacy Policy